Phil Taylor, professor of International Communications at the University of Leeds, United Kingdom, passed away on 6 December 2010. Phil was a terrific and underappreciated researcher and thinker on the subject of influence and propaganda. A prolific writer on the subjects, he devoted tremendous time and energy into unveiling both historical and contemporary propaganda.
John Brown described Phil as “one of the greats in the study of the art of rhetoric.”
Phil will be missed.
- Phil’s website – full of interesting and useful material
- Announcement at University of Leeds
- John Brown’s note on Phil’s passing
Abbreviated list of books authored or co-edited by Phil:
- British Propaganda in the Twentieth Century
- Munitions of the Mind: A History of Propaganda, Third Edition
- Global Communications, International Affairs and the Media Since 1945
- War and the Media: Propaganda and Persuasion in the Gulf War
- Routledge Handbook of Public Diplomacy
- Shooting the Messenger: The Political Impact of War Reporting