Return of the grab bag post:
- Google has this Gap Minder tool that charts (and maps) tons of data across time. X and Y-axis options: CO2 emissions, tons per capita; Child mortality; children and old per adult; fertility rate; contraceptive use amongst adult women; economic growth; income per capital (GNP or GNI); Internet users; life expectancy; military budget; number of girls compared to boys in school; # of phones; # of physicians; population; urban pop; and woman as % of labor force. See OpinioJuris for other details.
- US Central Command (CENTCOM) unveiled an updated website. On the homepage is a link “CENTCOM Nominee Touts Diplomacy in Iraq Approach“, a not unsurprising approach considering his former billet.
- The Los Angeles Times Opinion section had an article on military slang in Iraq. I like “Christians in Action“: Slang for Central Intelligence Agency; “Rummy’s Dummies“: A derogatory name for the U.S. military under the leadership of former Secretary of Defense Donald H. Rumsfeld.
- From the Maps of War, check out the Secret Prisons of Christians in Action, Signs of Occupation, and the Imperial History of the Middle East… and anything else they have.
- Closing with more maps, The War Room suggested looking at some strange maps last month…